Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Resending an inquiry to Mass.

I'm (not)surprised that I haven't received a response from the ABC, yet. Not only must they be busy (as I understand it, there are some 23 farm-brewery licenses in MA), but the recent snow is probably keeping the inspectors unable to come in and answer emails. Regardless, I'm going to resend my inquiry about what a farm-brewery means, in terms of zoning.

On the IPA front, the vigorous fermentation that had been going is subsiding. It hasn't finished out completely, my sunday night measurement showing only 1.026 gravity. If I hit my FG target, I'll jump for joy. If I don't.. meh.

As far as flavor and aroma go, well... it's definitely pleasant. The aroma is faint and subtle (I didn't dryhop), so you'll have to dig to get anything other than a mild blend of hops and bready-grain. However, the flavor is a nice warming bitter. Like something that was hopped just enough to give interesting tongue tickles, but not enough that you feel drowned in a sea of citrus and bitter. I'll be cleaning out the kegs sometime this week, and kegging it up. My brother has a stake on a few of them, so I'm expecting that one keg might be kicked the next day.

I've volunteered ingredients and equipment to a local homebrew club's first barrel brewed behemoth. I'm hoping that the whole thing works out and we get some good use out of the barrel. It's 55 gallons, so both my fermenters won't be nearly sufficient to ferment this monstrosity of an Imperial Stout. But, I have triple 20g Blichmanns, plus some random coolers that could be used. We'll work it out.

Additionally, I'm going to pick up more Vittles Vaults, the stackable kind, and get in on a huge group buy. I'm hoping to pay $30 to $40 USD for a 55# sack of T.F. Maris Otter, and maybe $25 for one of Munich light. Add another $30 or so for a sack of Crystal 60L. I'm gonna look into some of those metal wire racks that use the snap-in wedges for support and store all my grain and chemistry in an easy to access manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment