Monday, January 10, 2011

Fermenters

Someone recently asked me for pictures and a description of the fermenting vessels I'm using; since I like showing off my bling, here are a few pics.



This is an overview shot of my keg-fermenter. It's exactly what it sounds like: A keg that has been modified to be a fermenter. Since the keg doesn't have a conical bottom, a racking arm is essential for leaving the trub, dry-hops, and lees behind. The whole thing is sanitary welded thanks to Mike Carty of Derry, NH. The kegs are also legally acquired, as I understand it. Big props to the man.

Next up:



Here's a shot of the racking arm. The rod indicates position, and can be used to manipulate the arm while draining to ensure I take everything BUT the aforementioned un-wanted cruft at the bottom. The large, bulging piece at the center is where the arm clamps to the fermenter, and the drain valve clamps to the arm.

And now:



Here you see the arm clamped into the fermenter, and the drain valve clamped to the arm. The valve is a 3piece 304 stainless ball valve with a threaded TC male connector. Nothing too fancy.

As far as co2 considerations:



Here, you see a platform TC opening, useful for cleaning the fermenter, followed by a 3/4" barbed blowoff tube attachment. Again, all tri-clamped, and all done with beautiful sanitary welds.

3 comments:

  1. Quick question for you. This is the racking arm you used, right?

    http://www.glaciertanks.com/Racking_Arm_60-90_Degree-Racking_Arm_1_90_Degree_with_1_1_2_TriClamp.html

    I'm about to have some keggles welded up with tri-clover ferrules, and I'm hoping to use this as the dip tube in my mash tun -- but I'm nervous that it won't reach all the way to the center and will thus leave a lot of wort behind.

    Am I right that the arm ends a couple inches shy of the center? Hypothetically, if you were to want to drain every drop out, do you know offhand how close you could come?

    Really appreciate any info you can give. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks similar. I haven't had any wort draining issues. When it gets close to the bottom you can just switch to tilting the keg if you're finding some not draining, but I've found it doesn't leave much, if any, behind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to respond, Aaron. Everything is at the welder's now. Fingers crossed that it turns out well!

    ReplyDelete