Monday, November 8, 2010

A weekend of brew

I'm getting everything for my new single-tier stand this weekend, so I'm hoping to brew a quick session ale. Perhaps a cream, or a simple pale. The grain bill will probably include some wheat and either pale ale, or 2-row. Not sure which yet. I'm excited to brew on this stand and calculate my efficiencies. Plus, it'll feel awesome having a pretty well controlled system. I'm hoping that regardless of the extreme cold that will abound, I'll get really steady temps. The only thing that can help with that is spending a few hours messing with the burners and learning what the pots want to "let go of" as far as heat goes. Since the MLT will be direct fired, I can use the HLT to pre-heat the water, spray over the grain-bed to get close to the approximate temps, and direct fire to the exact infusion temp I want. I can then fill the hlt with more water and be heating that while the system mashes. This should shave about 1-2 hours off of my normal brew day.

I'm also pumped because for the first time ever I'll be possibly treating my water to get an optimum mash. Again, since I'm shooting for an OG of somewhere between 1.050 and 1.065, I'll want to monitor the mash, and perform a proper mash-out.

All in all, I'm pumped about brewing this weekend. Hopefully I'll get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment