Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I'm going to start a brewery

I've been thinking about it more and more. Brewing is something I'm intensely passionate about, and it's something I enjoy. Hello, my name is Aaron, and I have fun.

There's always some reason to not jump into this. The cost to entry, lack of market experience, no customers. Heck, I don't even have an AHA award. That doesn't matter. What matters is this: I like brewing; I like beer.

I don't even mind the drudgery that goes along with brewing. Sanitize, scrub, disassemble, reassemble. It's not a bother to me (although, my wife probably isn't too thrilled about it when it takes about 8 hours to get a brew done). That's why I think I am going to start a brewery. Even the part that isn't fun, is fun.

But there's a lot more to starting a brewery than just "Here's my recipe and my bottles, lets find a store!" There's licensing, inspections, fees, approvals, and vast array of process. At the federal level, it's not a huge amount of work. It can be banged out in a few weekends, as far as the paperwork goes. At the state level there's a bit more work to do. But the costs at the state level is huge in MA. It can cost up to $10k USD to setup a brewery. With that kind of cost, starting a small nanobrewery to serve the local community (and I can think of a few places that would probably be eager to serve up some backyard brown ale) is pretty much out of the question.

Still, I'm going to start a brewery.

No comments:

Post a Comment