Friday, October 15, 2010

Farm Brewery

In MA there's a farmer-brewer and farmer-brewery classification / designation. I'm certainly no lawyer, but I'm taking away from it that if you meet a few simple criteria, and aren't producing a whole heck-uv-a-lot, you can get a license to brew from the ABC for a $3k bond (one time) plus $22 / year. The amount per year can change depending on your excise volume (IE: the amount that you produce for your tax determination tank(s)), but it never truly gets outrageous.

I've talked a bit with some folks about forming an LLC, and taking this thing to the big-time. I'll need to get my recipe's in killer condition (I just started developing one that seems good enough to get dialed in -just- right) and have a strong whisper campaign. But, if everything lines up correctly, the brewing company could see real revenue (beyond a few hundred dollars a month) in a few years without accruing much (if any) debt. All the while, it could grow organically.

Ok, head-in-the clouds thinking, I know. But the ABC + Fed costs aren't that high, the equipment cost can be managed. Like everything, it will all come down to location and dedication. 3 AM brew days, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment