Thursday, February 10, 2011

In short - why Amarillo hops are amazingly expensive

So, just a mere 4-weeks into the process and the IPA has lost all the great Amarillo hop flavor. This tells me a few things.

1) Perhaps I didn't treat the water correctly (I'm open to this being the big culprit)
2) Perhaps I didn't use enough hops for flavor + aroma (I'm open to this being a major factor)
3) Perhaps Amarillo hops are very volatile. (I'm not as convinced on this).

Regardless, since I know that people are getting set to consume in 2 short weeks, I need to fix it. The way I see it, I have 2 approaches. Either brew a new batch and risk not enough hops for that batch again, or try to add hop flavor to the existing batch.

I'm going to go with #2. First, because it's relatively easy for me to do. Just boom - boil up some hops for 20 minutes, cool it, and add it to the fermenters. Second - it gives me some time to re-evaluate my recipe and technique without making another mistake in that area. Third - it's a cool technique, and I'm all for cool techniques.

Good luck to me!

2 comments:

  1. What was your hop schedule like?
    I did an Amirillo IPA and it had good flavor and aroma for over a year.

    I had one bittering addition at 90 min (or 60 if it was an extract batch. Sometimes you want a short brew day. Don't judge. :D )
    4 more additions. I believe at 20, 10-15, 5, and flame out. And dry hopping of course, once primary fermentation was over and after I transfered, seeing as how I don't have conicals.

    Nice and flowery (faded slightly by the time the last bottles were found a year later), nice tangerine bitterness to balance out the british style malt bill with a decent lingering bitterness that wasn't over powering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My schedule was only 60, 30, 15, dry-hop. I'm not sure if it's the water treatment I used, but all the beautiful citrus notes were gone.

    That's really the only tweak I'm thinking of putting on the IPA at this point - fix the citrus. I might try a flameout additiona, and spread out the 30 minute a bit.

    ReplyDelete